FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
I thought we already fixed this problem with Obamacare. How is this different?
- The Utah Cares health plan and Obamacare distinctly different approaches to healthcare reform.
- Obamacare, officially known as the Affordable Care Act (ACA), tried to incrementally improve the existing private health insurance market through measures such as establishing marketplaces for individual health insurance, Medicaid expansion, subsidies, and consumer protections against pre-existing condition exclusions.
- While well intentioned, Obamacare continues the problem of uninsurance with tens of millions of individuals still lacking insurance coverage. Additionally, Obamacare fails to rein in the health insurance business model of deductibles, co-insurance, and co-payments meaning that tens of millions of others can not afford needed health care. Insurance providers continue to reduce policy benefits while enforcing narrow healthcare provider networks, restricting and denying medical services, and raising patients’ co-pays, deductibles, and other expenses that come out of their own pockets.
- In contrast, the Utah Cares Health Plan will support better care which is more simply financed by consolidating the financing for every Utahn’s health care into one public trust fund. This approach eliminates private insurance companies and focuses on ensuring equal access to healthcare for everyone, fundamentally reshaping the way healthcare is financed and delivered. It also eliminates insurance premiums, co-pays and deductibles which saves money for Utah families.
- The Utah Cares health plan will allow every Utah patient to choose his or her own doctor and hospital and receive needed care without needing to pay out of pocket at the time of service.
Is this government run health care?
- No. Utah Cares is public financing for private health care delivery. Americans have publicly financed their health care for at least 75 years. Utah Cares does not change that. Americans also prefer private health care delivery. Utah Cares does not change that either. The Utah Cares health plan will simply collect the funds already raised to pay for health care, typically through taxes, and then will reimburse healthcare providers directly for necessary medical services. Patients maintain the freedom to choose their health care providers, and medical decisions are made between patients and their health care professionals.
Does a single-payer system mean that I won’t be able to choose my own healthcare provider?
- Just the opposite! The Utah Cares health care plan will give Utah families more options while choosing their health care providers. You will have the freedom to continue to go to your preferred doctors, hospitals, and healthcare professionals, allowing you to receive care from the medical professionals you trust and prefer.
Will this mean I have to wait for weeks or months to see my doctor?
- The Utah Cares health plan will be more efficient because of streamlined administrative processes, reduced overhead costs, and simplified billing. By centralizing financing and eliminating the need for multiple private insurance companies, health care providers will be able to give more resources to actual patient care rather than administrative tasks.
Will this raise my taxes?
No. Public taxation supporting health care will remain unchanged after the passage of Utah Cares. Utah Cares will lower your overall healthcare costs because there will no premiums, deductibles or co-pays. Utah Cares will ultimately save millions of dollars in administrative waste. These savings are passed on to you, leaving more money in your pocket at the end of every month. Premiums, now collected from private employers and employees and paid to private health insurers, can be reduced after Utah Cares is implemented. These lower premiums will be paid over to Utah Cares.
Make a Difference!
How You Can Help
We are a grassroots, people-powered campaign and we can’t do this without your help! JOIN US! You are the key to better, simpler and cheaper healthcare for all Utahns.
Together, we can create a future in Utah where health care is a human right and everyone has the freedom to live without medical debt. Your donation will protect the health care rights of other Utahns.
Do you have a passion for health care in Utah? Have you always wanted work in the community for a cause that matters? Do you have knowledge, skills, or a desire to help? Then we want YOU!
Create an Alliance
Are you involved with a similar organization who has the same goals? We want to partner with you and work together so we can impact the most number of people in Utah.